Sunday, November 18, 2012

Editorial Imagery


For this particular project, I wanted to focus on something that celebrates and bridges the binary. We are consistently talking about the negative. We want to focus on who is fighting who, what country is getting ready to build more drones, which religion is establishing oppressive regime upon its followers, but a lot of the time we do not have a full understanding of these cultures and countries. We immediately like to believe that that small negative piece defines the entirety of that culture and country. These people, like us, have national celebrations and come together. They lead normal lives according to their culture, and have mothers, fathers, breathe and survive disasters. With this thought in mind, I wanted to my editorial piece focused on educating viewers about a foreign celebration that brings a nation and its people together (Such as Christmas and Thanksgiving).
Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world and one of antiquity. It reaches back into time before Jesus and Mohammed. Diwali, the festival of lights is celebrated by Hindus across the world. Diwali is celebrated by Buddhists as well. The festival lights celebrate the simple yet profound idea of good triumphing over evil.  Just this weekend I went to a Diwali festival and it inspired me to do a piece about it because I would personally like to do research on my ancestral roots. I am an American, but my parents are Pakistani and my grandparents were Indian. I have things that are set a certain way in my life here because of what was historically dictated with my older relatives. I wish to gain that knowledge for a better understanding of them and those around me. I’ve been in a downward spiral lately obsessively researching the magical culture from which I’ve came from. This would be a great way to let all of my inspiration into an art piece.
The article I have chosen focuses in on the spread of knowledge of this particular festival. Living in America, known as the “melting pot” of the world, many people don’t have a clue as to what this is and how it plays a vital role in the world and in our own country. Many Indians take this day off to celebrate the destruction of Ravan (The ten headed villain) after Hanuman (monkey god) and Ram defeated him for kidnapping Sita (Ram's wife).

Diwali is very interesting in that although it is a celebration of a mythological story, it is far more than that. It looks at the duality of good vs. evil within everyone and everything. Diwali is also not meant for Hindu's only, but those who accept good over evil and celebrate it. This is why one can find Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Jews, Buddhists and a variety of groups celebrating its message. 



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/25/diwali-hindu-festival-of-lights-america_n_1031492.html




Obama a Christian celebrating Diwali
Muslims celebrating Diwali
Pakistani's celebrating Diwali. 
South African's celebrating Diwali
A lighted up Mandala motif of traditional candles 







No comments:

Post a Comment